This is new.

Monday, January 21, 2008

#4: Mezzo, Soy, Half-Sweet, Caramel Macciato


Cupcake after my favourite drink! This is again for the Cupcake Hero challenge, this month's theme, Coffee.

I love coffee. I love it a lot. I used to drink it constantly. When I heard this month's theme I knew immediately what I wanted to make.

I've not deviated from the Mezzo Soy Half-Sweet Caramel Macciato at Starbucks for 7 years. Every time I go there, it's what I have. So translating it into a cupcake just made sense.

These are vegan, since I am finding I prefer the texture of non-dairy cupcakes to those made with. You could non veganize it quite simply I'm sure.


Cake Bit
1 c. soy milk
1 t.apple cider vinegar
1 1/3 C cake flour
3/4 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. oil
3/4 c. granulated sugar
4 T. very strong coffee (I used instant coffee granules and added droplets of water until it was a paste
1/4 c. coffee grains

Boil soy milk until bubbly, add coffee grains. Steep for a while (until dark), add vinegar and allow milk to curdle.

Mix coffee mixture, oil, strong coffee bit until combined. Add flour, bs, bp, salt, sugar and flour. Mix until combined.

Fill cupcake wrappers 3/4 full, and bake for 20 minutes at 350F

Topping:
1/4 c. icing sugar
1/4 c. instant coffee granules
Drizzly caramel

Powder coffee over cupcakes, then icing sugar. Drizzle caramel overtop.

The drizzles actually rolled right off the icing sugar, and rested around the edge, so this needs some rethinking. It's *supposed* to zigzag across the top and then circle round the sides, but that was a no go.

No matter, they tasted quite nice, and I don't think anyone will pitch a fit over the lack of zigzags (but I do wish I could figure it out!)



2 comments:

Tempered Woman said...

Very clever~ I'm a caramel lover myself. I'm wondering why not drizzle the caramel first then powder with sugar? You could also try melting down caramel chips themselves- they tend to be less slippery. I'm not sure if that is vegan tho (sorry).
Great Hero entry- congrats!

Mary said...

I'm very impressed you could turn your favorite coffee drink into a cupcake!