This is new.

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Eggnog Cupcakes from Baking Bites / Gingerbread Men

For the Secret Santa Exchange at the office, I made Gingerbread Men cupcakes what looked like staff members, and the Vegan 'Nog Cupcakes from Baking Bites.

Gingerbread Men Cupcakes
For Christmas, I got a cupcake pan shaped like Gingerbread Men (Thank you, K&E!!). To celebrate, I ate them.

Icing was white chocolate ganache, dyed colours that my partners-in-baking crime created. I suggested people treat them like a sortof Gingerbread Voodoo Doll, but I think most people just ate themselves, or their family members.

Cupcakes (based on this recipe)
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1-1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg, beaten
1 cup mild molasses mixed with 1 cup hot water

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Sift together flour, baking soda, spices, and salt.

Beat together shortening, sugar, and egg until creamy. In 3 batches, alternately beat in flour mixture and molasses mixture at low speed until smooth.

Scoop into Gingerbread Man Moulds. Bake 25-30 minutes.

White Chocolate Ganache
2 bags white chocolate chips
1/2 cup whipping cream

Heat whipping cream to boiling, add chocolate chips. Stir until combined. Allow to cool, dye funky colours.

Eggnog Cakes

The Nog Cakes were by far my best cupcakes yet!


They came out moist and light and my oven didn't burn them, like it usually does!


The frosting, I used shortening, which I would have normally been against, but since I wanted them to be completely vegan, I went for it -- SO the right choice! I tend to associate shortening with what it tastes like on it's own - which is pretty gross. But add icing ingredients, and it's delicious! It also iced perfectly, I was dead pleased.


I followed the recipe exactly, here.

No comments: